Prairie View Interscholastic League Coaches Association
"Remembering the Past With Pride"
University of North Texas Libraries
The school underwent several name changes, but in 1921 (photo above) took the name of its former principal Isaiah Milligan Terrell to become "I.M Terrell High School." Terrell had been one of the first four black teachers in Forth Worth.
At its peak, the PVIL covered 500 schools. For a complete list of those schools visit the Prairie View Interscholastic League Collection which is a repository of documents, photographs, records, etc. relating to the PVIL and its history, from its inception in 1920 as a separate African American high school competition organization from the all-white University of Texas Interscholastic League until 1970, when it formally disbanded and rejoined the UIL. The PVIL thus served as the main academic and athletic competition organization for Texas' African American students and 150+ African American high schools for half of the 20th Century. The records will aid researchers in their quest for information on the adolescent years of state officials (e.g., Barbara Jordan), celebrities, and ordinary citizens.
Considering the breadth of the PVIL competition (athletics, typing, declamation, music, extemporaneous speaking), the records could potentially serve a wide variety of researchers in the fields of history, cultural studies, education, athletics, genealogy, communications, and political science. The PVIL is a unique collection unavailable elsewhere save as photocopies and mimeographs, as these are primary documents (e.g., correspondences, schedules, programs). The collection currently comprises 48 linear feet of material, and it is hoped that researchers in the field will contact the Archives Department with any material they discover, in order that we may fill any holes in the collection.
For further information on the Prairie View Interscholastic League Collection, please contact the Special Collections/Archives Department at (936) 261-1516 or by email.
Milton L. Kirkpatrick Jr-Sr High School
During the early part of the nineteenth century, a group of far sighted and energetic persons migrated to Fort Worth. Being greatly concerned about the future of their children, these parents made persistent appeals to the authorities for erection of a public-school building. Finally, in 1906, a one-room school was built. Mrs. Luella Lawson was elected as teacher. Both parents and pupils were greatly appreciative.
The school was first maintained by the county. Later a lot on Refugio was purchased on which was erected a two-room building. Mrs. Emma Clayton and Mr. H.F. Randle, who were elected teachers, taught at this school several years. The city limit was extended, and as a result, the Rosen Heights Colored School had its beginning in 1910 in the Shiloh Baptist Church; then located at 811 Cliff. Miss Mamie Moore was principal. She was succeeded by Mrs. L.B. Horace and Mrs. Lena Upshaw.
In 1912, the Board of Education purchased lots on Lee Avenue and erected another two-room building. This brought about employment of more teachers among whom were Mrs. Beatrice Means, Mr. S.H. Fowler and Mr. J.C. Coger.
The rapid and progressive growth of the community necessitated a larger and better equipped school. A better location was purchased on Clinton Avenue on which was erected a four-room building. The teaching staff was increased in the person of J.M. Brewer, Professor McNorton, Mrs. J.M. Lofton, Mrs. Lucinda Baker, Mrs. Patty Upshaw and Mrs. Edna Brown-Finley. This building burned in 1921 and an eight-room building was erected and more teachers added.
In 1921, the county and city schools were consolidated with Mr. Jordan as principal. He was replaced by Mr. H.T. Wise, who remained principal eight years. Mr. Wise was succeeded by Mr. Tidwell. Mr. Kay W. McMillan, Jr., was elected principal and the school continued to increase in numbers of pupils and teachers and progressed from year to year.
After size years of service, Mr. McMillan was transferred to the James E. Guinn Elementary and the late Mr. Charles O. Willis was elected principal. Mrs. Ruby L. Miller followed the tenure of Mr. Wallis. She served as principal of the Clinton Avenue School and the Milton L. Kirkpatric Elementary-Junior High School for eleven years.
Fluctuations in population of school children made it necessary for more space for the school and in a location that would be within the reach of the majority of school children. In 1950, a new and magnificent edifice was completed at 3201 Refugio. It was named for the late Milton Leonard Kirkpatrick, former vice principal at I.M. Terrell High School and a former teacher of the school. The old Clinton Avenue School became absorbed in the new Milton L. Kirkpatrick Elementary Junior High School.
Growth being phenomenal in the school, it was necessary in 1956 to add the senior high school department. This meant additional rooms and teachers to the present structure. Mrs. Ruby L. Miller was elected principal of the combined school. She was succeeded by Mr. Frank G. Adams.
The school system was not designed to contain an elementary school within the framework of a junior- senior high school. And it became evident that a new elementary school was a necessity.
In the latter part of January 1959, the new Milton L. Kirkpatrick Elementary School was completed at 3229 Lincoln and opened its doors to more than seven hundred pupils, twenty-five teachers, three custodians, two maids, a secretary, a part-time nurse, full staff of cafeteria workers, visiting teacher and speech therapist. Mr. Robert L. Gregory, Jr. was elected principal of the Kirkpatrick Elementary School in the summer of 1958 after he had served twelve years as a classroom teacher at Ninth Ward Elementary School.
Though the school had been in operation in its new location for less than one year, additions were made to the entire personnel and student body.
McFarland High School
Even though most grades were desegregated among Mineola schools, the last group of students were campused at the Stone Street / Martin Luther King @ Stone Street location during 1968. The buildings were subsequently sold, and the ensuing tragedy was that all the schools and personal records were left to the whims of nature. But for a few brave, caring souls who entered the storage vault and retrieved a few records including transcripts, all of our history was virtually lost. It was all gone forever, except for a few tangible keepsakes and the joy and pain many of us harbor in our minds, hearts, and spirits.
May we never forget.
For our posterity.