|Prairie View Interscholastic League Coaches Association
"Remembering the Past With Pride"
| PVIL State Championship Results
(Click the link for each sport to see results.)
Track and Field (Boys)
- Houston Wheatley had the most championship game appearances with 15, and the most wins, 11.
- Houston Yates won five of the first 10 PVIL 2A championships. However, after winning the title in 1949 -- 42-38 over San
Antonio Wheatley -- Yates never won another PVIL championship.
- In 1968, Houston Wheatley, coached by Collin Briggs, finished 36-0 and beat a largely white Thomas Jefferson High School
team from Dallas 85-80 in overtime. It was the first year for integrated playoffs after the PVIL merged with the UIL.
- Briggs coached the most PVIL championship teams, 11.
- Emmitt J. Scott (Tyler) scored the most points in a championship game with 114 against Carthage Turner (90 points) in winning
the 1968 3A title.
- Beaumont-Hebert scored the fewest points, 15, in losing to Houston Yates (35 points) in the 1943 game.
- Houston Wheatley had the most consecutive championships, winning six straight from 1950-1955.
Track and Field (Boys):
Houston Worthing's Cliff Branch was the
state sprint champion in 1966 and 1967 and
was the first schoolboy in Texas history to
run the 100-yard dash in 9.3 seconds.